Monday, February 11, 2008

Nerves of...

How do I fight my nerves? They seem to win in the most important of situations. Namely, tennis matches. In practice, I'm golden. Shots go where I want them to the majority of times and I know what I'm doing. This Sunday was a rude awakening. It was the start of my tennis league and I lost against someone I had beaten twice before. I could not hit a forehand to save my life. It's usually my most potent shot, but we abandoned each other and couldn't find our way back to one another. I ended up losing 6-3 and didn't hold serve once. My serve is usually to set up my forehand, but I would set up my forehand and miss it.
I really don't know what to do and it's frustrating. Sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worse and I don't know what the cause is. I think I would be a better person all around if I could figure out a way to control my nerves and insecurity but that answer is too foggy right now. On the plus side, although my initial instinct is to bash my racket and never play again, after the hurt clears, I want to be out there on the court as soon as possible. I want to find my redemption in a perfect swing.

No comments: