Monday, February 25, 2008

Writer's Block

It has hit me once again. Like a sledgehammer in the face. My pool is dry. Every word on the page is like a chore. Fifteen minutes wasted, with my head buried in my hands, racking my brain, filtering through every word memorized, every crossword solved, every Scrabble turn played, just to come up with a synonym for mistaken. It shouldn't be this hard. Mastering a chocolate soufflĂ© shouldn't be this hard. The cursor on my computer screen flashes so many times that I soon mistake it for a flashing crosswalk pedestrian and I actually get up and begin briskly walking across my office. It seems strange to have writer's block when you’re a writer. I wonder…do doctors suffer from surgery block? Do they suddenly forget what to do next while performing a quadruple bypass? Do they fake it like I do? Just begin doing the motions, moving the scalpel from organ to organ, hoping something will come to them? What if the president experienced president's block? He just woke up in the morning and couldn't remember anything, didn’t know how to respond when the press asked him questions, had no idea what he was doing in the White House or how he got there (wait a minute…this sounds a little too familiar…I think this is affecting the current administration). There is another similarity between my writer's block and the current administration… in both cases, I can’t wait for them to end.

No comments: