Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Chips

I'm not into birthdays or holidays. I've been like that for awhile. I'm fine with the ideas behind these days, but I think I let the expectations overwhelm me. Personally, I don't desire a day when people are forced into remembering me out of obligation. I'm fine celebrating other people's special days, but I'm not into having myself celebrated like that at all.
I think it's because nothing really seems special on those days, there's always that sense of expectation. I take full responsibility for that, but what I find the most special are the little things. When someone thinks enough of me to bring back the chips they didn't eat at lunch, it's really nice. Seriously. When someone gets me a grilled cheese at In-n-Out just because they were there, it doesn't get much better. When someone buys me a shirt because they saw it and thought of me, it's the greatest gift. It's what people do when they're just going about their day that really shows their true colors. It's a true surprise--one without any expectation. When someone just thinks of you without any catalyst, that's something truly special.

3 comments:

Steady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steady said...

We're all different people. Yes, some people want to wish you birthday greetings because they think that's what they're supposed to do. I hate that too. It's not real. But others who KNOW YOU & want to do something nice for you out of appreciation of your friendship, well, it's easier to convey that on your birthday. Try to look at it from the other side.

pkadam said...

It feels so good reading this post. I found your blog by searching for 'having myself celebrated' -- and it was the only match :) And after all, I agree with you word by word. As you mention those little things... God, like you're writing what's in my mind. Perhaps the best blog post I've ever read.