Thursday, May 22, 2008

Dark Weather & An Afternoon Movie

The thunderstorm comes quickly and passes just as quickly. I go outside to throw out the garbage and there's barely a trace of it. But the world is a little cleaner. It's a fresh start.
But what if you don't know where to start? The first steps to take? How to make that new beginning? It's much easier to walk down that path you're familiar with, to make the same choice over and over again.
I'm in some kind of mood lately. It's rapidly cycling from one thing to another. Some moments I'm fine, some moments my mind races out of control. I decided to go see "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" this morning. I went online and bought my ticket and got ready to go. Then I checked my email. A friend who I had talked about going with asked if we were still going to see it. I went to the theater and exchanged my ticket for "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian." Those Narnia books are so woven into my DNA. I grew up reading them over and over again and watching the cartoon version of "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" so much that I pretty much have it memorized. I did the same with the BBC adaptations of the first four books. I was a little underwhelmed with the new version of "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." I didn't know whether the magic had faded or I was jaded, so I wasn't that excited for this new one. The middling reviews didn't help to excite me either.
But I enjoyed it. And found myself crying through a lot of it. I don't know why I get so emotional over science fantasy movies, but the same thing happened with "Lord of the Rings." Something about a group of people with the odds against them, making the hard choices in the face of incredible obstacles always seems to get to me.
I think a lot of times I've shied away from making the hard decisions. I've made the easy choices over and over again. But looking back, the hard choices are the ones I remember the most, the ones that have all the meaning, the ones that form the major bones on which my life is built. I think the magic is still there as long as I can keep from being jaded. It hard to do when the easier choice is to phone it in, to lose a part of myself.
I don't know. I guess it's always an opportunity when you're faced with hard decisions, I just hope there are things ahead that I'm willing to fight for.

No comments: