Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Van Nuys Blues

The fog has lifted as suddenly as it descended. Weeks of strange, dark, cloudy weather have given way to the sun and rising temperatures. But I still wonder how many people are walking around with a fog of their own that waits to clear. I know I've walked for years with certain misconceptions, ideas, thoughts that I thought were beyond reproach. Suddenly things that were so right are so wrong and I wonder how I lived my life for so long under false truths.
I wonder what ideas are brewing in my head just waiting to be proven wrong. Things I hold on to with a death grip that could change in an hour, a day, a year.
There's someone I know who I watch with strange curiosity. There seems to be things in his life he isn't facing. It's not that he's just not facing them, but he seems to be running full-speed away from them into a life that has nothing to do with the truth of what he is. It's strange how willing some people are to make the ultimate compromise, one that involves the rest of their lives.
Still, I guess it works out for most people. They move on, they go on living, and no one seems to know the better of it. It's so easy to fall into that trap of looking everywhere outside yourself instead of the inside. Things are scarier on the inside, they cut deeper, but I think that satisfaction you get from realizing things about yourself is something more permanent and true than anything that can be gained from any outside comparisons.
When the fog's been there for so long, the sun seems so much brighter when it finally shines through.

No comments: