Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Justine, Justine

It's raining in France. The coverage of the French Open is all from yesterday. At least I'm caught up.
I'm still obsessing a little bit about Justine Henin's sudden retirement. A number one player, playing at the top of her game just decides to walk away. Part of me understands and feels it makes sense. If you've reached that level of satisfaction and what you're doing doesn't mean as much any more, it's probably better to walk away then become a shell of yourself. I'm all about doing whatever it takes to keep one's spirit intact and unbroken. Still, the other part of me wonders about what's really going on when a champion calls it quits. It can't be as simple as she makes it out to be, can it?
I guess I'm not even close to being able to imagine what she must be going through. I think I'm struggling with finding something I can attack with that kind of intensity that someone in sports has to. Well, that's really intense. I'd settle for something I'm willing to do with a tenth of that intensity.

No comments: