Monday, April 14, 2008

Not So Epic Struggle

I stepped out on the tennis court. Across from it was the same person I played a few weeks ago: the same person who beat me 6-3 and didn't allow me to hold serve once. The main difference was the heat, a sweltering 95 degrees in the sun. My nerves were still there, but I knew I had to focus. My opponent didn't want to warm up, I agreed and we started immediately. He had won the toss and chose to serve. He served, I won the point, and the next one, and the next one. I won eleven points in a row. I was up 3-0, then I was up 5-0 and serving to close out a match against someone I struggled against last time we played. The nerves crept in, I went down 15-40 with some bad errors. But I focused, I held it together. I did what I needed to do and won 6-0.
I don't know that much has changed since I struggled to win points in our previous match. Maybe it was the heat, maybe I was a little more focused. It's just strange that sometimes I can be so on and sometimes I can be so off. I think I tend to fly between two extremes. Instead of looking for common ground, I take things dramatically, drastically. It's either horrible or wonderful.
A friend was talking after the match and said "It's tennis," and he was right. It just is. It doesn't always have to be an epic struggle.

No comments: