Friday, January 11, 2008

FEAR

Today...Fear is on my mind. Not fear like; "Is the ancient, giant craftsman that sits next door to us haunted with evil, angry spirits who, at any moment, could fly through the right upstairs window and devour me with just their breath" (not that I haven't considered that possibility). Fear like; "Is the pill rolling that my dad does with his fingers an early symptom of Parkinson's?" or "Is my moms inability to come up with the word dementia, because she herself is in the early stages?" or "Is the Middleastern man sitting next to me on the red eye jiggling his leg nonstop because he is afraid to fly or because he is nervous he won't be able to retrieve the knife he has stitched into his left forearm?" I go further with the fear when I make a conscience effort to be overly nice to the gentleman sitting to my left in the hopes that we will bond, if even for an instance, and he will let me escape with a parachute above Colorado before he takes the plane down in Los Angeles.
I can only assume that most of these fears stem from the year 2007 and all the heartache and devastation it brought to my family. I understand that most of these fears are not rational and the likelihood of their occurrence is slim...and yet, I consider the possibility. So, just in case...I research Parkinson's on the Internet and I offer one dark skinned United passenger my snack box when he wakes from his 2 hour nap.
Yeah, I know all the sayings...I've read all the books...Fear is not my friend...and it is certainly no way to live. So, tomorrow I'll try to stay in the moment, and put Faith first, and know that everything is going to be okay. But, just in case...I'll probably still sprint the short block from the old, white Craftsman to my front door.

No comments: