Friday, January 11, 2008

Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen

Writing by committee sucks. I don't care how I prepare myself and I don't care how much I tell myself it doesn't matter.
I realize that a lot of times people have a lot of helpful information, but it all comes down to intention. I don't think anyone can really understand someone's inner motivation and reasoning as to why they write what they write. I'm more than willing to take criticism. Explain to me why you think something should be changed and I'll decide whether it works for me or not. I'm more than willing to make changes. But I hate when someone just hacks away willy-nilly on something that started out as mine. I think part of it is the loss of control--the letting go of something that belonged to me when I'm not ready to let it go. And part of it is wanting the final product to be a reflection of my choices and my style, not some bastardized version of it. I'd rather the mistakes be mine than someone else's.
Honestly, sometimes it feels like I'm sitting on the ground while someone throws up all over me.
And I don't normally enjoy that.

No comments: