Thursday, January 17, 2008

Howard's End

There's a huge poster for "Howard's End" up on the wall and I wonder how Petricia will react to it. I think it's a great poster and I love the movie. I know most people aren't fans of long, slow, period movies set in England, but for me they're the bees knees. I could watch "Howard's End," "The Remains of the Day," "A Room with a View," or any similar movie over and over again.
There's these two guys I've been house-sitting for for the past 2 years. I've been over to watch their dogs and take care of things about six times. "Howard's End" is DVR'd in their bedroom. I always watch it. I put it on, lie in bed, and am mesmerized. There's something about falling asleep in the middle of the afternoon with the sun shining and a movie on that's kind of like heaven. And only a few movies can bring about that amazing sensation. They have to be calm and soothing and when you're waking up and falling back asleep they have to be good enough to keep your attention but not jarring enough to where you can't doze in and out.
The "Howard's End" poster has a history. I think it's rare because it's not paper, it's plastic. It was discovered in the depths of the basement at Tower Video at 383 Lafayette Street in New York City. I worked there and there was this whole off-limits basement area that connected some of the buildings. It was alarmed and you could never go through the door that led to it. One day some cleaning up had to be done, so the alarms were shut off and we went back to see what was in some of the rooms. There were a bunch of unused rooms and in one of them there were a bunch of old TVs and light boxes that used to hang around the store to display posters. One of them still had the "Howard's End" poster in it. I guess when they were taking them down, no one wanted it. Even when people were taking things out of the rooms in the basement, no one wanted it except for me. I was so excited to discover it. So I grabbed it, rolled it up and it's been with me ever since.
The guys I house-sit recently moved into another house. I wonder if the movie is still on their DVR. And Tower Video went out of business a while ago. Last time I was in New York, I walked by and saw that it was an NYU building.
But now the "Howard's End" poster hangs on the wall at work. It's more than a poster. It's a reminder of that exciting sense of discovery. And lazy days that always seem the height of perfection when I remember them.

No comments: