Sunday, December 14, 2008

Old is New

Back in the day I used to get a lot of people commenting on how I looked, usually in reference to me looking like someone. It was sometimes someone specific, but most times it was just "someone." As in, "You look like someone," but the person saying it could never think of who. Recently those comments just seemed to have stopped, but this weekend people were commenting again.
Someone said I looked like I should be on reality TV and not working on it. Another one said she thought she worked with me. Maybe it's my hair, maybe it's the holidays, maybe it's leaving the house and running into new people. The weekend culminated in someone apologizing for not listening to what I was saying because she was staring at my eyes. I just find it strange going forever without any comments and then they all come at once.
It reminds me of how I started working at my current job. MM turned in my resume to Human Resources along with a link to some essay I wrote about how within a few weeks one year a bunch of random people told me I looked like Joey McIntyre. AA, the head of Human Resources at the time, was a big fan of New Kids on the Block and thought it was really funny. My interview pretty much consisted of talking about Joey and I started work a few days later.
I went to a Vedic Astrologer a few years ago and he explained that our lives are cyclical, that certain patters emerged over years and years: renewals, setbacks, discoveries. I wonder if something now is relating to something then. It does seem like there are things happening that feel like a new start. If renewal is coming, I hope I've learned a few lessons and don't get stuck in a rut again because I'm scared of change. There are some things that aren't worth repeating.

No comments: