Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Goodbye NYC and such as

Seeing that Manhattan skyline fade off into the distance always brings a tear to my eye. It's so beautiful, so iconic. There's nothing like it. But my time in the city is over and now I sit in the airport waiting to return to Hollywoodland by way of Burbank Airport.
Ah, Burbank Airport. Yes, it takes so much longer to get your luggage, but it's so much closer to home and there's so much less traffic to deal with. Speaking of luggage, it's so strange to me how much of a mess people make of picking it up. There's this conveyor belt and everyone crowds around just watching bags passing by and waiting for theirs. Then they grab it and they're in the middle of a mob. I always wonder why everyone doesn't stand a few feet back and then step in when their luggage comes around, it could be so much more efficient and time saving and just put me in a better mood. The same thing seemed to happen time and time again on the elevators at the Hudson Hotel. People would be waiting to get on an elevator and start to barge in as soon as one arrived, not paying attention to people trying to get off the elevator with luggage in tow. It happened a few minutes ago as I was getting off an elevator from the JFK Skytrain. People are always in a rush. But I can't blame them, I know I do it sometimes too.
I'll have plenty of time to go somewhere and get stuck in traffic and all of a sudden a different person comes out. I don't curse much in real life, but alone in my car in traffic, it's a different story. It's so easy to get caught up in the franticness of it all. I'm always in a much better state when I take the time to take a deep breath and remind myself that I am where I am and I'll be better off not to cause myself undue stress over all the things that are out of my control.
So, here I am. Terminal 6, Gate 9, JFK Airport, Queens, New York. Waiting for boarding for my flight. I saw some shows, I saw the city, saw my dearest friend, got to spend some quality time with the most special someone in my life. And despite the buzz around me, all the people going to and fro, I realize how lucky I am in this moment in time.

No comments: