Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Heat Is On

The temperature, and the Mississippi, is still rising. I peel off my shirt and venture outside in a see thru tank top and shorts not meant for stranger's eyes. At 10pm it feels like afternoon as I pass little girls in bathing suits and families lying on blankets in their front yards.
I wonder if they feel as restless as I do. I feel like the Santa Ana's are about to blow in from the desert, they always make me crazy. The Santa Ana's usually appear unexpectedly. When the weather is hot and calm and everything seems peaceful, they blow through the city, throw people off their game and leave them asking, "Where did that come from?" They remind me of my life right now. Just when things appear calm and peaceful and I begin to feel "normal," a wind blows in, throws me off my game and leaves me asking, "Where did that come from?"

No comments: