Monday, June 23, 2008

Playing with Fire

After about 10 match points saved, B and me went down in the finals of the doubles tournament. For some reason, we were seeded 2nd and only had to play one match to get into the finals. That one match was crazy, though. We lost the first set quickly 6-2, the second set started to slip away just as quickly and we found ourselves down 5-2, 0-40. 3 match points. I don't know what happened, but we ended up winning that game, and the next. In the next game we were down 2 more match points, and saved them again. From then on, the other team just seemed to lose their confidence and we got more steady as we all baked in the sun. We ended up winning 2-6, 7-5, 6-2. It's crazy when you realize you can be so far out of a match, you're practically at home in the shower, and you win it.
I thought the final might go the same way, we were down quick in the first set and made a surge but it wasn't enough and we lost it 6-4. The second set started out the same as the last match and I ended up being down at least five match points on my serve. Luckily, my serve had picked up and we kept in it, but it wasn't enough. We played with fire too much and finally got burnt, losing the final 6-4, 6-2.
Still, it's always fun on the court with B. He's so unlike me, not really caring if he wins or loses. He tries and has fun, but he realizes it's not life or death. It's a good balance to my over-dramatic attitude. After the match, someone commented that he thought it was too much that we played together. I wouldn't want to play with anyone else.

No comments: