Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"I like to sing 'Blue Velvet'"

I know the exact moment I became picky about movies. I had set the VCR to tape something off of HBO late at night. I can't even remember what it was, but when I taped, I used to set the tape to stop way after the movie ended just to make sure I got everything. Well, the tape recorded and I watched whatever movie it was and then started to watch what was after it, "Blue Velvet." I had never seen anything like it. Unfortunately, as the movie moved towards its climax, the tape cut off!
Before "Blue Velvet" I remember liking almost every single movie I saw, no matter what it was, no matter how stupid or bad. I enjoyed pretty much everything. I would go to the video store and rent movies or watch them on cable and enjoy them all.
Well, I went crazy needing to see the end of "Blue Velvet." I begged my mom to take me to the video store. Blockbuster had the movie and I rented it and watched it and was changed. I was amazed by what I saw, so moody, so different, so atmospheric. I really feel at that moment, I started to look at movies more critically. I wanted something more from the movies I saw. I wanted them to take me somewhere, I wanted them to make me feel and if they didn't, I didn't enjoy them. I become more interested in atmospheric failures than successful movies that didn't do much for me. I became dismissive of what seemed like formula, popcorn movies.
Lately, though, I reminded of how I used to like everything I saw. I've been watching HBO. A lot of it. I've recently watched movies like "The Lake House" and "Georgia Rule" and "Sister Mary Explains it All" and "Mannequin," and I've enjoyed them. I'm aware of how these movies have been received and wondering what has changed. I think the me of the last couple years wouldn't have given these movies a first chance, but in the state I'm in now, I'm enjoying them.
Am I softening up? Am I getting old? Have I lost my critical attitude?
I would always tease my parents when they told me they watched something like "Wild Hogs" and enjoyed it. I would think, why aren't they using their movie watching time to watch something a little more... substantial.
I don't know. Maybe I'm just a little emotional and responding to everything I see and hear. Maybe my mind is breaking down. All I know is that "She-Devil" is saved on my DVR.

No comments: