Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Goodbye Ice

Today was my last ice skating class of the semester. And of the year. As much as I've enjoyed the ice and especially last week's triumph, I think what I'm going to miss most is Miss ML. I remember my first class and how scared I was of her seemingly militaristic demeanor. And how I quickly realized she was funny and open and sweet and nice. I learned a lot this semester and it's all because she's a great teacher. The teachers at the rink change from semester to semester, so who knows when I'll have her to teach me again. It's a little upsetting. I looked forward to being on the ice, but I think I enjoyed her teaching more. I guess I'll just have to move on. It's kind of sad.
It's always sad to let go of the people who are a good influence in my life. I can't believe how much I miss Professor TB and regret not getting to know him better. How many teachers would let you take their class over again when you're not even in school anymore? I used to have to borrow my friends' student IDs to sneak into Bobst Library for his class. I still have all his emails printed and saved and they are still full of advice that I continue to learn from. It's a lesson in the negative influence of my isolationism. When people are there for you to learn from, you should do your best to actually learn from them and not hide away in a cave with only the voices in your head for advice.

No comments: