Saturday, November 15, 2008

No H8!

Today, as fires were ranging all around Los Angeles, I got in my car and drove... to get a haircut. But there was a 45 minute wait and I left. So I drove... to get my car smog tested. There was a long wait too, but I needed it done and decided to wait. After I was done, I drove to the Metro station and got on to head downtown to the one of the rallies in protest to Proposition 8. It was a mix of emotions because it's really the first rally I've been to and I didn't know if I should go, but the closer it got to starting, the more it became something I had to do. I knew I had made the right decision as I drove to the parking lot and saw groups with signs and taking pictures. The metro was crowded and I was impressed at just how many people were making a stand.
Once I got downtown, things were pretty overwhelming. So many people, so many voices. It was weird walking down the steps towards the mass protest and seeing pro-Prop 8 people demonstrating as well. Seeing people on TV protesting against the things I believe in is one thing, but seeing them across from you with signs that read "HOMO SEX IS A THREAT TO NATIONAL SECURITY" is another. It was scary and saddening, but I kept walking. Once in the crowd, I had to fight not to cry. I was still overwhelmed. And proud. It was an amazing experience to be among people united for a cause, it felt like community. It felt like understanding. It felt like just being there was being part of something amazing. It was taking a stand and doing something little that seemed like it counted. Everyone was smiling and cheering. And even though some people maybe had signs that I didn't agree with, it didn't matter, because we were all there united in love. It actually made me feel the way I wish going to church would more often. It was a bunch of people loving their neighbors and trying to do good.
While standing in the crowd, I actually ran in to someone I haven't seen in probably more than 10 years, TS. He looked and acted the same and it was funny coming face to face with someone who knew and teased me as a closeted college student in New York City. He was always someone I admired: fearless, vocal, funny, smart and it was great to follow him around and meet new people, everyone amazing and interesting and united in a common purpose.
There were so many times where I just felt overcome with emotions. One was when a bunch of protesters stopped over a freeway overpass and cars honked in solidarity from beneath, while other people gave thumbs down. Another time was sending videos of the protest to my parents. I talked to my mom who was happy for me but (of course) just wanted me to be careful. My dad called and said, "That's how you make change happen." He was happy that I was doing something more than watching it on TV and it was amazing feeling hearing that both my parents were behind me.
I had to leave to get home to to go to church and the sermon was about doing whatever you can with what you have. It was a weird feeling, being in a church that a lot of times makes me feel like who I am is wrong and like I don't belong, a church in which there were a lot of people vocal in support of Proposition 8. At this point, I'm still struggling living in both worlds. But I think just like being downtown and united with people who I might share other differences with, I'm can't judge a group of people because of the acts of a few.
It was an amazing day for me. I didn't expect it to be, but it was really remarkable removing myself from a world that revolves around me and my insecurities and entering one that was about something bigger, something beyond myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My son and I watched on TV. We wanted to go and should have. I guess our excuse was that we live 1 1/2 hrs away..
I'm happy for you that your parents support you and accept you for who you are :)