Monday, August 25, 2008

7-6 (9-7)

It was hot. Really hot. We lost our doubles match in a tiebreak and my singles match was first up right after doubles ended. It started off fine. I was going for my shots, but a few games in and I was spraying balls everywhere. My serve wasn't working and neither were my groundstrokes. I was down 1-3, 15-40. Then I started junkballing. High balls, slices. It wasn't pretty but it got me back in the match. It seemed to throw my opponent off too because his game quickly devolved and it became a game of make the other person miss.
I won the set. Barely. I had a chance to serve it out at 5-4 but got broken at love. I had to hold serve to stay in the match and it was only my lead in the tiebreak that helped in the end.
I'm wondering if I should have just kept swinging with the hope that eventually my shots would go in. I'm wondering if it's better to win playing completely ugly and embarrassing survival tennis rather than lose going for it. I've been going back and forth with this. I've been told there's a happy medium I've been able to sometimes find, but what if I can't find what's in the middle?
I don't know, my game is in shambles right now and I just want to hit the ball well and have it go in. Is that so much to ask?

No comments: