Friday, August 15, 2008

Yellow Roses

Her lover brought to her yellow roses
Picked from a garden of his own love.

I don't know how I remember those lines from a poem I wrote for 12th grade English. We had to write a poem based on Kate Chopin's "The Awakening." I focused on roses and the poem was a tragic and dark soap opera and I remember my teacher really liked it. I was always fascinated by the story and Edna's final swim into the water and how dark it was. It seems like it's a recurring theme in some of my favorite works. In "The Piano," Holly Hunter gets dragged into the water and almost dies before changing her mind. In "Grey's Anatomy," Ellen Pompeo gets dragged into the water and dies before changing her mind. Subjugation, codependency, water, death, rebirth. I think I always want life to be that dramatic. I always want to be making symbolic choices that reveal something amazing underneath. I don't know if it's a good way to live: looking at everything as a symbol of something deeper. I often wonder what life would be like not seeing the world like that, viewing everything with a steady dose of indifference.

No comments: