Thursday, August 7, 2008

The First Day of School

A reminded me of something I said to her, that when we started up work it would be like we never left. Unfortunately, it's kind of like that. Riding my bike to Van Nuys, walking in the building, filling out the paperwork, getting to work all felt run-of-the-mill. Even the new twists weren't that surprising, they were just more things to do. I guess it's good not having to deal with all those days and weeks of uncertainty when you start up someplace completely new, but it is kind of weird to just fall back into something I've been away from for 2 1/2 months.
Those 2 1/2 months seem further and further away as the seconds tick by. They start to look as if they're dipped in gold. I appreciate them so much right now, I want them back. I don't want to let go but I know my grip is slipping. Soon I'll try to claw my way back but I know it will be a worthless cause.
Is it wrong to not want a job or kids? To just want to stay at home with the cats, on the couch, a fan on my face and the TV humming?

1 comment:

marsupial said...

I know what it feels like, to have a certain chunk of time still be so immediate, yet it feels like a dream, not a memory.

Glad to be reading your writing.