Saturday, August 30, 2008

Carissa & The Post Office

I didn't expect lines akin to a ride at Disneyland when arriving at the Studio City Post Office at 8:58AM, but there I was, in one. Most everyone in line was morning-sour as the one clerk helped one slow customer after another. But there were two people chatting up a storm. One was a woman with long, wavy blonde hair, glasses, and a chirpy voice and she was giggling and laughing with a guy in shorts and a black baseball cap. She was discussing her upcoming trip to somewhere like South Dakota and how she was going to visit a friend. Their attitudes were in complete opposition to everyone else, including me. We were all slumped and dismal, but they were in a different world. Carissa went to take care of her postal business with the same attitude she had in line, happy and apologizing for needing different kinds of stamps. As she was preparing to gather her things and go, the man she had been talking to approached her.
"Can I get your name?"
"Carissa," she responded happily and they both scrambled to find paper to write on.
After a few moments, she gave him the piece of paper she had written on.
"I'll be back in town in a couple weeks," she said.
"Hopefully I'll see you then," the man replied.
"Yes," Carissa assured.
They parted and I couldn't help but smile as I looked out the side window of the crowded Post Office and saw Carissa almost skipping to her car.

No comments: