Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Our Friends with the Talking Broaches

He's there all the time lately. Always on my mind. He was there last night and all today I couldn't stop thinking about him. I was driving and messing with a TomTom and got pulled over by a policeman that was cutting in front of me in traffic. He didn't want to hear anything, he just gave me a ticket.
I've been dreaming about policemen and getting tickets a lot lately. I don't know what's triggering it. I don't know if I'm scared of authority or fearing some punishment for something. I'm not sure what I've done that causes me to fear the wrath of a man in uniform. But I have been driving the speed limit.
There's a kind of strange thrill in driving the exact speed limit. Everyone else seems in a hurry to get places, but I leave early enough that I can drive the speed limit and still get to where I need to go in time. Lately it's felt like a rebellion, like I'm the one person deciding not to be in a rush, to take my time, to follow the rules that no one else will follow. Maybe in forcing myself to slow down, I can finally catch up.

No comments: