Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Burning Down Mrs. Maudie's House

9th grade English. Mrs. Thomas. 3rd period.
I don't know why I've been thinking about it lately. Mrs. Thomas was kind of like a female version of Friar Tuck: jovial, nice, rotund, short hair. She was obsessed with vocabulary. I remember one week one of our words was "comely." I remember the guy sitting behind me making up his own definition: "having a fun time while masturbating." Mrs. Thomas told us once that her eyes would well up with tears at the same time every day, she didn't know why.
Anyway, Mrs. Thomas assigned us "To Kill a Mockingbird" and after reading it, we had to do a project based on the book. Most people did dramatic poster collages, some people did those diorama things. I got the bring idea to burn down Mrs. Maudie's house. I got a large wooden plank from my dad and went to work creating houses of cardboard and streets and yards of cardboard paper. The day came and I brought in my mini-town and lighter fluid. The class was brought outside. It was somewhat chilly for a Florida day and a slight breeze was blowing. I doused the house and used my matches. The house burnt down as the class watched.
It was a simple project, but I decided to burn something. Most people's projects involved shoe boxes or magazines, mine involved fire.
I can still see the house slowly burning as the chilly wind blew the flames.

No comments: