Monday, October 27, 2008

Let Go

Letting go is hard for me. Sometimes people, sometimes things, sometimes ways of thinking. I'm a person who likes to stick to a schedule. In 3 1/2 years of college, I missed one class. In my 4 years of playing LATA tennis, I've missed one day of regular play. I rarely call in sick to work. I think it stems from some irrational fear of what might happen if I don't do something, even though I know what will happen is probably nothing. It's a little control-freakish.
I'm watching "Gossip Girl" as I write, and in voice-over, Gossip Girl herself just said this:
"Sometimes the most important thing to know is when to get out, and when to give in."
I know Blair Waldorf and Chuck Bass's "Dangerous Liasons"-like war has nothing to do with where I'm at in my life, but I think my obsessive side tends to hold on and hold out too much. I don't take risks and I don't like to upset my status quo. I tend to stick around too long just because I'm afraid. Fear is rarely the best motivator.
There are things I'm thinking about letting go of, there are other things that I want to take risks on. I don't know how to figure out what I should do, but isn't the fact that I'm thinking about them so much a sign that I should be doing something about them?
Should I be like Jenny who quit her job? Should I be like Blair and go meet Chuck on the roof? Should I be like Serena and hold out on the offer? It's "Gossip Girl," so I'm sure everything will end badly. But aren't we all better off for them taking the chance?

No comments: