Sunday, October 12, 2008

Joan Osborne

I went to see Joan Osborne at El Rey on Friday. I arrived pretty late, but actually just in time. Joan was on her first song, "Rodeo." I would have been exactly on time had I not had to drive around Miracle Mile forever looking for a parking spot. There was no wait as I got my ID checked. The woman scanned it and started laughing. I looked at her cautiously. "You don't look your age," she told me as she continued to laugh. I laughed as well before thanking her. I got my ID back and went to get my ticket.
Thoughts were racing through my head. I mean, it's good to not look your age as long as you look younger than your age, but am I that old that it creates laughter and comments? Was it because I had just shaved? Because I was wearing my glasses? Why was it so funny?
Luckily, Joan Osborne took my mind off it. She was amazing. Her voice hits you in the gut, so soulful and so smooth. It's big but never overpowering, just magnificent.
I thought about my age again last night. I went with B and DW to a bar to wish a friend happy birthday and they had the same scanning machine to get in. I saw B and DW's IDs get scanned and their ages pop up LARGE on the computer screen. I saw my age pop up and it seemed even BIGGER in more ways than one.
I guess I just need to let it go. The older I am, the more time I've spent on the earth. More music to listen to, more movies to watch, more tennis, more ice skating, more time with B, more things to learn, more time to accomplish something worthwhile. It's better than the alternatives.

No comments: