Friday, October 31, 2008

Jenny Lewis at the Orpheum

I called in sick to work today, and I am sick. And tired.
Last night B and me went to go see Jenny Lewis at the Orpheum Theatre in downtown Los Angeles. The ticket said that doors opened at 8PM. I knew she had two opening acts and thought if we left at 8PM, we might miss most of them and be there right in time for Jenny to do her thing. Well, we got there quickly, parked, went in, and waited and waited and waited and waited. The first opening act went on, then the second. By the time Jenny Lewis appeared on stage, it was 11:15PM. I really felt my age. I was angry. I wanted to be home in bed. How could she wait so long to start singing? I don't think I've ever been to a concert that started so late. I remember once going to see the Spice Girls and I got there really late on accident. They didn't have an opening act, but the concert was severely delayed due to technical difficulties. I'll never forget that one 12 year old girl a few rows behind me screaming "Where's Ginger?" with so much anger, I was shocked. Where is that girl now? Anyway, even that concert wasn't anywhere near as late starting as this one. And at least the Spice Girls had a malfunctioning spaceship to explain their tardiness on.
Well, I did start feeling better once Jenny opened up her mouth. She was great. Her band was great. But some of the crowd were scary. People kept screaming that they loved her. One guy interrupted her solo girl-and-guitar opener "Rabbit Fur Coat" with a yell of "You're a female Bob Dylan," which made her pause for a moment and smile. There were random guys trashing around to her songs. I admit, I'm one of those lame people who doesn't like to stand at concerts, I just want to sit and enjoy the music. I try not to judge those who do enjoy music in different ways, but when people are waving themselves around like they're having epileptic seizures, it's pretty distracting for a large part of the crowd.
Anger tinged with enjoyment. Bitterness mixed with happiness. Thinking it was partly worth it and partly not. All I know is after yesterday and today, I need a good night's sleep.

No comments: