Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Letter

A mentioned writing letters and never sending them. I think it's a good idea. I've done it before on paper but never on a blog.
Dear ____,
Every little thing you do comes back to you in some way or another, sooner or later. I think we all know that instinctively. It's not making a decision and having to convince yourself of it, it's making the right decision. And it's not doing something someone told you to do, it's making up your own mind and being an adult. It's doing something and taking responsibility for it and not lying about it or talking in circles when asked a question. Sure, we all end up doing things we're not too proud of just to tow the line or to keep other people happy, but I think it's hard to justify keeping people down. You should never keep anyone down. When it's in your power, you should allow everyone in your path a way to get better, faster, stronger, smarter, happier, more content, more at ease, more confident. You should make it your mission to fight to uncover the best in other people.
If anything, I see in you what I don't want to be. When I pass you, I remind myself of how I never want to behave. I have such resentment for you because I can be like you sometimes: making excuses, talking around the truth, reaching for justifications. I hope I can get better at avoiding those mistakes in the future.
I wish you happiness--because you can only mistreat others as much as you mistreat yourself.
Best wishes,
K

No comments: