Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Turn

I don't know much about poker. I actually have a secret resentment for it because its ratings are so good it's taking the television place of some of my favorite sports, mainly tennis and figure skating. But one thing I do know is the terms for the spread of cards on the table in Texas Hold 'Em: the flop, the turn, the river. I love those terms. Especially "the turn," it's so telling. I felt like a little while ago, some card somewhere turned and things turned.
I don't know if things are cyclical or if what goes down must come up or if if it's all just random, but after the agony of a while ago, things got better. Last Friday, I won the parking spot at work. I can't remember the last time I won a drawing. Then this Friday I got a very nice surprise in the mail. Tonight B took me to a fund-raiser and one of the acts, Terri Nunn not only did Stevie Nicks' "Dreams," she also did Olivia Newton-John's "Magic." Then Gavin Rossdale did Stevie's "Landslide." It was weird that some of my favorite acts were included in their own little way in the small sets. I take everything as a sign and it's weird when the signs come in clumps.
I don't know what it all means, but it's a much appreciated series of events after everything going on lately.

No comments: