Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Americana at Bland

I am convinced that the owners of the new Americana at Brand are filling the air with pleasant smells from our youth like homemade chocolate chip cookies and powdered Tang. I wouldn't be surprised to find that 'feel good' herbs like St. John's Wort and Ginseng were being pushed through misters for all the shoppers to inhale. No matter how much I have tried to hate it, tried to find every flaw in the Stepford Wives flavored buildings and overly manicured grass, the minute I step off the escalator, I find a spring in my step and a smile on my face that hasn't been seen since last November.
They have pulled me in to their fantasy. I have drunk their kool-aid. I ride the trolley and stroll through the brick paved alleys pretending I am in a Euopean Village (a European Village with Jody Maroni's and Pinkberry). I buy tops I don't like and fill bags with shoes I'll only wear in my living room. I feel depressed after leaving and have to take to my bed wearing my new wardrobe, asking myself once again, "What just happened?"
This happened to me when The Grove first opened as well. However this seems more severe. At least The Grove is in West Hollywood and has loads of good people watching. My new 'feel good' locale is in Glendale and is overrun with tweens and salespeople from The Mile of Cars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although your post should make me want to avoid such a place, I REALLY want to go!