Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What Falls Away

So, today it all came crashing down. My best laid plans, my ideas about life, my hopes, my dreams, my opinions of certain people--they were put in the light of day. Actually, it wasn't that dramatic. There's a job I want, I was told I couldn't have it. It sucks. I was mad, I was bitter, I was nervous, I was uncertain. But through it all, something happened. Despite an attack of madness last night, I was somewhat composed. Despite heated discussion, raised voices and some unbalanced brain chemicals, I was able to stay mostly calm. Despite some rambling and random statements, I was able to make some decent points.
At the gym during my lunch break, I listened to my iPod and I heard Bonnie Raitt singing. And LeAnne Womack singing. And Gene Wilder singing "Pure Imagination."
I thought to myself ,"What do my job problems matter when there are people singing these songs?"
I came home and watched my DVR'd "Gossip Girl." It was a really good episode. I love Serena's turn to the dark side.
I thought to myself, "What does it all matter when 'Gossip Girl' is this good?"
B, tired from a full night and day and night at work along with driving his mom to the airport, was somewhat delirious and he leaned his head on my shoulder and smiled at me.
"I'll do what I can to do well. I'll let the pieces fall where they fall. I'll work to make better choices. I'll stand up for myself and let my voice be heard," I thought, "I'll try to make sure to take care of what really counts first and not waste energy on people or situations that don't deserve my time in the first place."

No comments: