Thursday, September 11, 2008

Studying

I'm so happy to be home on my couch after today. Ugh. Will I ever get better?
Anyway, I'm studying. Last night, my new coach, Miss ML gave us videos to watch that demonstrate basic ice skating "moves in the field." Things started out fine. There were 8 year old girls and boys doing edge work and I was watching them thinking, "My stroking is better! My edges are more secure." And then this little girl in glasses, a hideous floral costume and her hair pulled up with a scrunchy just turned around and started doing everything backwards without even thinking about it. BITCH! And I'm only 5 minutes into the video. Miss ML warned me not to be intimidated by the little pipsqueaks but it's hard not to be when they are half my size and tearing up the ice!
Last night was once again difficult. In my first class, the others were doing crazy moves as I skated off to the side and did my own hackneyed versions. The second class was a little better. Especially when Miss ML complimented my flow on the ice, that was a nice thing until a few seconds later she said that my edges needed a lot of work. I stayed after class for the free skate longer than ever before. I kept trying to do three turns to no avail. That is until I tried them on a different foot. What do you know, I did one. It was bad, but I did it. My right foot seems to have less trouble with things than my left. In any case, I've got a long way to go, but I'm still trying to get on with my sick self!

No comments: